We are excited to bring to you “Ideas by Interpreters – Episode #11: Tune in to chat with Caroline and Judit Marin on Interpreting for Chemical Dependency Patients
The purpose of this webinar is to introduce healthcare interpreters to medical terminology specifically related to chemical dependency. We will discuss the complexity of this medical specialty and the challenges interpreters face in these appointments. Participants will receive terminology, glossaries, and samples of sentences pertaining to this area of care.
Following all the details:
- Learn terminology related to chemical dependency
- Learn what to expect when interpreting for chemical dependency patients: modes of interpretation, type of programs, mental health, socio-economic and generational aspects, etc.
- General introduction to most commonly abused prescription and non-prescription drugs, and other substances
- Define and discuss specific vocabulary related to chemical dependency (pill mill, doctor shopping, uppers/downers, enabler, binge drinking, gateway drug, etc.)
- Challenges interpreters face: lack of training, complexity of language (slang, high/low register), complexity of chemical dependency (medical, psychological, social, legal, financial challenges), logistics of appointments (group therapy, simultaneous interpretation equipment)
- What to expect when you are asked to interpret for chemical dependency patients
We look forward to seeing you on Thursday, January 17th at 11am Pacific Standard Time!!!