Since 1958, September has been a time to celebrate Deaf Awareness. What started as just the International Day of the Deaf that was celebrated by the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) has turned into a month long celebration over the years. Although this is a month long celebration, many nations celebrate Deaf Awareness month on different weeks throughout the month of September, really naming this celebration International Week of the Deaf.
At Boostlingo, we celebrate it all month long as our interpreting products really pay forward to the deaf population. Deaf Awareness Month is meant to increase public awareness, perhaps reach a population who isn’t all so familiar with deaf issues, people and the culture. There are many things we can share, and celebrate throughout this month such as sign language, subtitled shows, accessibility at events, work safety, deaf celebrities and tons more.
We encourage our customers, employees, friends and family throughout this month to help spread awareness with us! Here’s how you can too.
Help Spread Deaf Awareness
There are a number of ways to get involved and spread awareness on the Deaf community.While we don’t want to tell you what to do, we want to give you a few examples.
- Get creative! Make a poster to put at your local library or other community places.
- Consider learning a little bit of sign language this month. It’s a lot of fun!
- Let your colleagues or other employees know a few facts about deaf awareness by doing some research.
- Donate to a charity.
- Volunteer at a deaf organization.
- Host a community event bringing deaf and hearing people together.
- Share positive stories about the deaf culture on your social media pages.
- Learn about those who are deaf in your community.
- Recognize achievements of deaf people.
- Gain a better understanding of the deaf culture.
- Research and learn about the types of educational programs and resources that are offered for deaf people.
- Learn about the different degrees of being deaf, and why people experience hearing loss.
Basically, we look at it this way. If people do not know what they are raising awareness for, then how can they ever help? We know that not everyone has the opportunity to do things as involved as that, but every bit counts. It all starts with one person. What are you doing to help spread awareness this month?